Another one bites the dust – Happy New Year! We have survived another year in our crazy COVID world! Here’s to progress and new accomplishments in 2022 at Spec-Tanks. . .
Articles and Tank Progress in 2021:
I didn’t make as much progress with articles and reviews as I wanted this past year, but am thankful for what was published. I pushed out a full review of the Fluval EVO 13.5 Saltwater tank that we have been using since January of 2020 – It’s a post that took a lot of work and I’m proud of. I will keep updating as our experiences with the tank evolve.
I also posted reviews of:
- ADA Amazonia II (great substrate, still in use in our Spec V)
- AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite Auto Top Off – it’s been an all-star accessory for our saltwater nano.
- Aqamai KPS Wavemaker Review – another great accessory in our marine tank that has allowed us to dial in flow for our newly acquired corals.
- I knocked out a few more post in the EVO 13.5 series. This series has documented the full setup of our first saltwater aquarium.
The tanks are doing very well. We rescaped the Spec V in June of 2021. I revised the plant placement with the lower portion of HC in the center that forms a valley between taller plants at either side. I really like the way it turned out and it has ended up being much easier to maintain and trim.
The EVO is has evolved in big ways. We got our first coral in March of 2021 and have added three additional corals since. They have all survived and seem to be doing well; that feels like a major accomplishment.
The EVO is seeing more algae, including green and red turf algae. I’m not thrilled with the level of algae, but I think I need to relax and be thankful that the algae seems stable and controllable.
Upcoming in 2022 for Spec-Tanks:
Lots of the articles planned for this year are pushed from last year’s list. That’s OK – maybe 2022 will be a catch-up year.
I hope to write the following reviews and articles:
- There is one more important edition of our EVO series and that will be for tank maintenance.
- I hope to write some articles about keeping corals. Perhaps an overview / introduction to corals, then some specific articles on acclimation / dipping and feeding corals.
- I’ve got a few product reviews to catch up on. First will be the great aftermarket light we have on the EVO (AI Prime 16HD). Also, I need to post the review on the inTank Chamber 1 Media Basket and the VCA Random Flow Generator.
- Our Aquami KPS Nano Wavemaker has been great, but I have my eye on getting and reviewing another nano wavemaker, the AquaIllumination AI Nero 3.
- I’ve started to fill my own paintball CO2 tanks from a 20 lb bulk tank. I’d like to make an instructional for the handful of people that would benefit from this.
- We have been running an aftermarket pump in our Spec V for a few years now, the Cobalt MJ Mini 606. A review would be nice – it works great but has a few quirks for setup and operation.
- I recently added an ATO to our Spec V and realized the remote equipment (ATO reservoir, CO2 tank) was in a state of disarray. I documented the process for tidying up the tubing/wiring to the Spec V and will share this process in an upcoming post.
With regards to the aquariums, I might add a few more corals to the EVO this year. No major plans for the Spec V other than maintaining and trying to get the green dust algae under control.
Thanks for stopping by and for your continued interest in Spec-Tanks and nano aquariums. Here’s to a Happy and Healthy 2022!