It’s not great that my ‘Upcoming in Spec-Tanks 2018’ update is coming out in April. It’s also not ideal that much of what is upcoming in 2018 I hoped to do in 2017 but didn’t. What can I say, it’s busy around here.
We completed adoption of our 2 year old girl from China last summer. She is our 4th child. Busy.
At any rate, here are some projects that I hope to finish sometime in 2018:
- Update Spec V Review Page: I did purchase a new Spec V aquarium. The version of Spec V that we have is the old (original – pre 2016) version. The new version (mid-2016 and later) has some changes, notably a brighter light. I will update the review page with new pictures of the revised portions of the aquarium and will highlight the changes/updates from the original. I hope to test and show PAR light values for the new light – more on that below.
- Finnex Planted + 24/7 SE Light Review: I got this light in hopes that it would be a good candidiate for those looking for a light upgrade for the Spec V. The draw to this product is the ability to change the light color and the light intensity, which would allow people to turn up or down the intensity to match what plants they have (unlike the Planted + which has one intensity). The light may be good for larger aquariums, but it doesn’t work well at all for a smaller aquarium like the Spec V. I’ll write a review that will outline the pros / cons and pass on a Spec V specific wishlist that hopefully Finnex will look at.
- Seneye Reef Monitor Review – Light Test: I got the Seneye Reef Monitor primarily for it’s ability to be used as a light meter. I plan on testing the lights I have on hand to compare their intensity and possibly show the color spectrum they put out. I’ll test the following: Finnex Planted+, Finnex Planted + 24/7 SE, original Spec V (Pre 2016), updated Spec V (post 2016). Maybe I’ll get around to testing the lights I have for the Spec III. Somewhere along the way I will write a review on the Seneye device.
Other things I can hope to get to this year:
- In-Line CO2 Diffuser: I’m currently using an in-tank CO2 diffuser. It’s working well, but I’d like to see if I can fit an in-line CO2 diffuser in the pump section between the pump and outlet. Will be challenging to get it all connected and fit into that section along with the heater.
- Aquarium Automation: I use smart plugs and an Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller as a budget automation system. I’d like to share more detail about how to set this up, how much it costs, and how it compares to purpose made systems like the Neptune Apex Jr.
- EI Fertilizing Methods: I want to write a simple article that talks about dry dosing fertilizers for low tech and high tech planted aquariums, specifically for nano tanks.
- Filter System Mods: This one has been on hold for years, but I hope to play around with the filter system of the Spec V and III and find simple DIY projects to improve their performance.
- Other Finnex Tanks: Finnex has expanded their lineup of all-in-one tanks both inside the Spec lineup and beyond. I probably won’t obtain these tanks (this year), but I would like to make a summary post explaining all that they offer, and even delve into other comparable all-in-one tanks from other manufacturers.
- New Fish: We are down to one green neon. He is named ‘Uno’. May get more green neons or we may try something new.
- Re-Scape the Tank: I haven’t torn the tank apart since November of 2016 and I’m getting the itch to redo the whole thing. Might use driftwood instead of rocks this time, or maybe both.
Please feel free to offer any input you want into the comments on what you would find beneficial on this site in the upcoming year. Thanks!